Class Code: RN01
Agricultural Entertainment - How to Make Farmland work for you! Hayrides & More
Rich and Debbie Norz
Saturday May 19, 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Integrating a Haunted Attraction into an operating farm
There are lots of SCARY things that happen in the middle of a corn field at night, but hopefully your outdoor haunt management isn’t one of them.
Debbie & Rich Norz have run Scare Farm (formally Creepy Hollow) for the last 11 Haunt Seasons. They have many stories of what has worked and more importantly what has not worked with integrating a Haunted Attraction into an operating farm.
Come and find out some of their secrets to:
• Working a Haunted Attraction into a Farm
• The art of fully setting up and tearing down a large haunt every year
• Using an Excel spread sheet or an online app to manage your haunt set up
• Having a haunted walking trail vs a haunted hayride
• Getting stuff for free or next to nothing to enhance your haunt
• Front of the house additions to add extra income
• Working with Credit Card companies
• Ticketing & Pricing
• Question and answers at end
About Rich and Debbie Norz
Debbie & Rich own and operate Norz Hill Farm & Market, LLC. Rich is a 4th generation family member to run the farm that has been in the family for 96 years. In 1922 when the family first purchased the farm in rural Hillsborough, NJ, they started out with a few milking cows, some horses, chickens and were farming about 50 acres of ground to su8pport their livestock.Today, this family run farm business hosts over 100,000 visitors per year withall of their on-farmactivities. Some of these activities include selling on farm summer retail produce, selling produce at 7off-site town Farmers Markets, a family friendly Fall Festival u-pick pumpkin event, School Tours, weekly summer Farm Workshops for children, hosting on farm Birthday parties and of course SCARE FARM (www.ScareFarm.com)– a 3 attraction Haunt. To support all the above enterprises, there are 15 acres of vegetables, 35 acres of sweet corn and 45 acres of pumpkins, gourds and fancy squash planted. They also farm over 800 acres of corn, soybeans and hay with Rich’s father and have over 150 head of livestock (beef, goats, sheep and more) and 700 chickens at Norz Hill Farm.
A few other interesting facts about Debbie, Rich & Norz Hill Farm are:
• At the state level, their Holstein cows have won Grand Champion and Junior Champion several times and he has been named Premier Exhibiter 9 times and Premier Breeder four times.
• Debbie &Rich also had a sideline business that they called “Cow Advertising.” With the help of their cow’s New York talent agent, some of their cows have appeared on Saturday Night Live, NBC News, Vogue Magazine, with Martha Stewart in a “Got Milk?” ad and as the cover girls of the Chick-Fil-a calendar.
• Debbie & Rich has the honor to be named as the 2010 National Outstanding Young Farmer and that same year Rich was named the New Jersey Outstanding Young Farmer
The presales for the Halloween Show are over. However, you can still buy tickets for the event at the door! Please come to the registration booth as we are here now at the Showboat. Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday - tickets are available at the door (May 17th, 18th, 19th & 20th)